Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Not another 30 years!

Do we live in a world so sad and disturbed that our so called “morals” have failed us and are now leading us into a point of no return? Do we or should it be said that I have gotten to the point where/when I first meet people I sometimes think the worse of their intentions? Has trust become something that is hard to gain? These questions are only some things that linger in mind from time to time? Working hand in hand with a community that has been greatly affected by the HIV virus has given me or continues to give me a certain perspective on things. I have met mostly women and young girls that have been lied to and that are continuously victims to lies, manipulation and deception. Some say that if you are promiscuous and careless about your body/health then your are most likely to become infected. Is that the whole truth? Are these people the only one at risk? Or does it only seem that way to people on the outside that have not seen or heard it all. I ask myself, how can a young girl who has never been to the biggest town only two hours be infected? How could she, who does not know the latest music, the hip stylish clothes be infected? Is she promiscuous? Has she given up on her life at the tender age of fourteen to engage in activities that will hurt her future? I don’t know, I don’t have all the answers but all I truly know is that it happens. Young girls, and women that has decided to follow traditions, women that committed themselves to one partner has been and are continuously deceived. I realized this makes it seem like men are the only problem or that men are the only ones causing this, and I do apologize for that but the truth is women can be just as bad and often lie, cheat and deceived. You know what though…don’t let my being here in Namibia Africa be the factor for this post. We both know that “this” is going on pretty much all over the world. Apart from Africa, the United States has alarming HIV rates that are on the rise. The same stories that I encounter here, have also happened in the states. HIV does not discriminate. Age, Sex, Race, Religious Affiliation, Economic Status, Education Level, Sexual Preference, it really does not matter. This year marks 30 years since "its existence" and HIV/AIDS have claimed countless of lives. How are you facing AIDS? It may not be to do something so extreme like volunteering for two years in Africa. Really it begins with you. As I tell my students, the youth I work with and my community… I cannot tell you how to live your life. I cannot tell you what to do and how to do it. But I can tell you to take control of life. I can tell you to demand to be respected. I can tell you to demand to know your partners status. I can tell you to demand that you use protection while having sex. That is you’re right, are you going to go on and enjoy instant gratification while risking your life? It’s your life you decide. Think twice, you are grown and you know “this” exists. Do you part in this world that seems sometimes to be going down in a whirlwind? Let it begin with you that’s one of the most important things you can do. Let us NOT let HIV stay alive for another 30 years!


Thursday 1 December 2011: World AIDS day commemoration, This is for those who have lost the fight. Those who are continuously living positively, no matter what your status is. For the million of kids who stays strong through it all and for those who have been deceived, keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment